Risk Management

If you have been injured or your property has been damaged and, in your opinion, you believe the City of University Place may have a responsibility to you, a Claim for Damages form is required to be completed in order for the City to determine its level of responsibility to the claimant.

Obtaining a Claim for Damages Form

A Claim for Damages form can be obtained by calling the Risk Management Officer at 253.460.2517, or in person at City Hall (3609 Market Place West, Suite 200). This form must be completed, notarized and filed with the City of University Place.
Submittal of a Claim for Damages does not guarantee payment by the City or its insurance carriers. An investigation by a Claims Adjuster will be made into the incident to determine if the City has any liability as determined by applicable laws.

Claim Payment (If Applicable)

If it is determined that the City has a responsibility to you, the amount of the claim payment is based on the level of City liability, the level of your liability (if any), and the depreciated value (not replacement value) of the property damaged.
Claims adjusters representing its insurance carrier usually conduct investigations into Claims for Damages. You may be contacted by either Washington Cities Insurance Authority or Evergreen Adjustment Services depending on the type of claim. These investigations will be conducted as expeditiously as possible.

Department Assistance

If you have contacted the City in an emergency, the Public Works crew or other City employees may assist you as a public service. This assistance does not constitute an admission of liability on the part of the City.

More Information 

Please contact the Risk Management Office at 253.460.2517 or 253.460.2507 if you have specific questions regarding the claims process.