- Public Works
- Energy & Sustainability
Energy & Sustainability
The City's 4.8 kW solar panel array on the Civic-Library Building is now operational! The grant funded project is a great example of the City's commitment to continue working on Council’s 2011 to 2012 goal to encourage “education, participation, and support for sustainable practices” through the Green UP Initiative.
Help improve University Place with the Green UP Initiative!
The City launched the Green UP Initiative to organize the effort to increase sustainable practices in University Place. The City itself continues to search for ways to improve its organizational practices, such as distributing documents electronically to cut down printing and installing energy efficient lighting, heating and cooling system, and other products in City buildings. In fact, the City has been adopting sustainable policies and implementing sustainable practices for years, including the installation of safe, energy saving roundabouts and codes that provide for sidewalks and green spaces. These policies and practices have helped UP become the community it is today.
However, City government represents only a small fraction of the total energy use, waste production, and other impacts on the community's natural environment. That is why we need YOU to continue to work on improving sustainability at home and at work too. Individually, we can make a small impact, but together, we will make a significant impact and help shape a clean, healthy, friendly University Place for future residents, businesses, and visitors!
If you are interested in learning more about Green UP and helping ensure a bright future for University Place, please contact City Hall at 253.566.5656.
Green UP Information & Resources
- Green UP Resolution - City's commitment to Green UP partnership with Fire and School Districts. The Library has since joined as well.
- Cascade Agenda Cities - Group that assists members, such as the City, by providing sustainability resources, best practices, and support.
- Solar Panel Project (PDF) - Brief overview of the City's grant funded 2011 solar panel project for the energy efficient Civic Building.
- Energy Conservation Assistance - Tacoma Power provides resources and assistance to help businesses increase energy efficiency.
- Recycling Assistance - Pierce County Solid Waste Division offers wast audits and recycling advice and assistance for businesses.
- Recycling Locations - Trying to find where to recycle a specific item? This Pierce County Solid Waste Division Website helps you locate a place to responsibly dispose of a large variety of items.
- Energy Conservation - Tacoma Power resources to help you save money and become more energy efficient at home.
- Wood Smoke Pollution - Wood smoke is one of the leading causes of air pollution in Pierce County.
- Earth Matters Newsletter - This Pierce County Solid Waste Division newsletter provides a wide range of environmental news, including information about recycling locations, upcoming classes (such as worm bins or composting) and much more.
- Puget Sound Starts Here - A regional partnership dedicated to improving water quality, learn what you can do to help keep our lakes, rivers and the Puget Sound clean.