Property Tax

Private property and businesses in University Place are levied a property tax which is collected in two installments in April and October of each year. The 2022 property tax rate averages $12.1925 per $1,000 of assessed value and may vary based on individual taxing districts (based on the University Place School District, the largest in the City of University Place).

University Place receives approximately 6.4% of the property taxes paid by University Place residents or $0.7764 per $1,000.00 of assessed value. The city’s portion pays for University Place’s general operations including police, public works, and parks services. The remaining 93.6% is distributed between Washington State, Pierce County, the Port of Tacoma, flood control services, emergency medical services, school districts, rural libraries, Sound Transit (ST3) and fire district.

2022 Total Property Tax Per $1,000 Assessed Value

U.P. School District $4.3379 
Fire District/EMS $2.7112 
State of Washington $2.6586 
County $0.8781 
City of U.P. (Dedicated to Police) $0.7764 
Library $0.3915 
Flood Control $0.1002 
Regional Transit $0.1841 
Port $0.1545
Total per Assessed Value $12.1925

Where do my property taxes go?

Dollar Bill Only_2022

Tax Rate per $1,000 Assessed Value 1995-2022:

City of University Place Tax Rate Per 1000k Assessed Value_2022

Average Homeowner's Local Government Property Tax Bill

Average Homeowners Local Govenment Property Tax Bill_2022

Average Assessed Value and Property Taxes Paid

University Place Average Assessed Value and Property Taxes Paid_2022