Green UP Sustainability Advisory Committee
In 2010, the City partnered with the Fire, Library, and School districts and formed a Sustainability Advisory Committee to develop a sustainability plan for University Place. The Committee reviewed a number of sustainability plans from around Washington State, researched sustainable practices, heard a presentation from a Cascade Land Conservancy expert, and discussed how to use best practice research for a plan that would fit University Place.
Vision for Sustainability
Ultimately, the Committee identified five focus areas, each with sub-goals, and developed three recommendations for the City, Fire, Library, and School. The resulting document, Community of University Place Vision for Sustainability (PDF), is being presented for adoption by each of the four public agencies.
By committing to a common set of goals and working together, UP government agencies, businesses, and residents will make a significant impact on the community's sustainability and ensure that University Place is a great place to live, work, shop, and play for generations to come!
- Focus Area 1 - Energy
- Focus Area 2 – Environmental Health & Natural Resources
- Focus Area 3 – Transportation
- Focus Area 4 – Community Vitality
- Focus Area 5 – Education & Outreach
Focus Area 1 – Energy
- Goal 1-1: Reduce Net Energy Consumption
- Goal 1-2: Increase Renewable Energy and Other Efficient Technology Use
Focus Area 2 – Environmental Health & Natural Resources
- Goal 2-1: Reduce Net Solid Waste Output
- Goal 2-2: Preserve or Increase Parks and Open Space
- Goal 2-3: Decrease Pollution
- Goal 2-4: Use Water Responsibly
Focus Area 3 – Transportation
- Goal 3-1: Increase Safety and Efficiency of Non-motorized Transportation
- Goal 3-2: Decrease Net Gasoline Consumption
- Goal 3-3: Increase Connections to Regional Transit
- Goal 3-4: Provide Efficient Consumer Access to Businesses
Focus Area 4 – Community Vitality
- Goal 4-1: Encourage Responsible Urban Design
- Goal 4-2: Support the Local Economy
- Goal 4-3: Promote Civic Engagement
- Goal 4-4: Provide Activities for Families, Youth, and Seniors
Focus Area 5 – Education & Outreach
- Goal 5-1: Increase Green UP Awareness
- Goal 5-2: Implement Community wide Sustainability Plan
Recommendations to the City, Fire, Library & School
- Adopt the Community of University Place Vision, including the common set of focus areas and goals.
- Appoint a liaison/coordinator to serve as the organization's point of contact for the Green UP Initiative and to provide information for the Annual Report.
- Commit to jointly publish an Annual Sustainability Report to provide a public update of the progress being made at the City, Fire, Library and School in each focus area, and to provide information on community wide and business progress.