COVID-19 Resources for Business
The impacts of the coronavirus pandemic are far reaching. Although at its center it is a personal and public health issue, nearly every part of society is being disrupted in an effort to slow the spread and save lives. The Economic Development Office of the City of University Place provides this summary of business assistance currently available as resource for businesses during this emergency.
This page will be updated as new information is released. We want to keep you informed and provide you with links to resources for your business during this challenging time. Please check back often.
Information You Can Use
- Washington State Small Business Flex Fund: A simple, low interest and flexible loan for Washington's smallest businesses and non-profits, is designed to help these entities access funds they need at a competitive interest rate to bounce back stronger than ever. More information, as well as a link to the application form is available.
- Shuttered Venue Operators Grant: If you own or operate a live venue, theater or performing arts organization, there is help in the form of grants available to you. The SBA began accepting applications for this grant on April 26, 2021. If you qualify, check for further information and application links.
- Applying for PPP Loan Forgiveness: Although applications for Paycheck Protection Program funds closed on May 31, 2021, a borrower can apply for forgiveness once all loan proceeds for which the borrower will be asking forgiveness have been used. More detailed information, as well as the application form and instructions that will be used to apply for forgiveness of PPP loans is available.
- COVID-19 Economic Injury Disaster Loan provides economic relief to small businesses and non-profit organizations that are currently experiencing a temporary loss of revenue. These are 30-year, low interest loans. The Small Business Administration has more information and an application portal.
- Track the Numbers: The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department has put together an excellent dashboard for those desiring to track the numbers related to COVID-19 locally. A most recent view of this site shows that there has been a total of 58 cases and 1 death in University Place related to COVID-19.
- Healthy Washington Recovery Plan: View Governor Inslee's regional phased re-opening plan for Washington State.
- The City's Planning and Development Services Department is up and running. Most interactions can be done through email and phone; however City Hall is now open Monday through Friday. The Planning and Development Services counter is staffed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each weekday except for Thursday. On Thursdays, the counter is closed at 3 p.m. For more information, check the Planning and Development Services webpage or call 253.460.5406.
- Tacoma Public Utilities is offering extensions for payments, but they must be requested.
- Check out the Business Info Series on the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber of Commerce or the Economic Development Board of Tacoma-Pierce County websites.
- The Employment Security Department is fielding a massive volume of phone calls at the current time. Check out these Key Steps (PDF) to help your employees. Their website provides the information you are seeking in many cases.
Questions? Email Becky Metcalf, Economic Development Project Assistant.