Councilmember Figueroa Biography
Javier Figueroa was born in Monterrey, Mexico and raised in Bay City, Texas. Javier has lived in Pierce County for 36 years. In 1991, he moved to University Place. Figueroa has been married to his wife, Mary Kay, for 32 years and has four children.
Figueroa has 30 years of experience in real estate asset management. Figueroa's experience in the real estate field encompasses the specialized fields in sales, development, appraising, project management, environmental issues, and property rights. He is nationally and internationally recognized for his expertise in real estate negotiations, public right-of-ways, and financing of energy efficiency. Professional positions include serving as the Lands Program Manager for the Washington State Parks & Recreation Commission and as Executive Vice President of Rockmann Development Group, LLC.
Current Council roles:
- Finance Committee, Chair
- Rainier Communications Commission, Vice President
- 2015 U.S. Open Task Force, Member
Deeply committed to the community, Figueroa has volunteered in a variety of community programs, from being a University Place Parks Commissioner to a Court-Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for the Pierce County Juvenile Court System, and from being a board member for The Grand Cinema to currently serving 19 years as a certified arbitrator for the Better Business Bureau of Washington.
Figueroa is an accomplished racquetball player, avid reader, chess player, golfer, and enjoys cooking.
Figueroa's professional highlights:
- Authored the Trans-Canada Trail Province of British Columbia Report "Trail Issues & Opportunities for Telecommunications & Utility Purposes," funded by the Province of British Columbia.
- Lecturer/consultant for the British Columbia Asset and Land Corporation: Presented workshops: "Fiber Optic Telecom Opportunities/Demand in the Pacific Northwest;" "Public Policy Development for Telecom Pricing;" "Negotiation Approaches and Principles;" and "Implementation of Documents."
- Technical lead & Co-Author "Washington State Home Energy Rating System Business Plan."
- Designated panel member and guest speaker at The White House Conference on Global Climate Change, at the invitation of the White House Office of Environmental Policy.
- Secretariat and Co-Author of Action #8 of the 1993 U.S. Climate Change Action Plan.
Figueroa served 12 years in the Armed Forces (Army).
Email Councilmember Figueroa